ECONOMIC POLICY, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS DEPARTMENT
The Economic Policy, Research and Statistics department is the primary economic information and resource centre of the Bank. It compiles, produces and disseminates economic statistics for the major sectors of the economy. It is tasked with conducting applied economic research in order to provide effective policy advice in the pursuit of economic development and economic management in Swaziland.
- STATISTICS AND PUBLICATIONS
- MONETARY AND FINANCIAL STATISTICS
- BALANCE OF PAYMENTS AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS
- POLICY RESEARCH AND MACRO-ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
STATISTICS AND PUBLICATIONS
This division compiles, produces, maintains and publishes economic and financial statistics in the Bank, to be used for economic analysis, policy research, policy formulation and performance monitoring. It is divided into three sections, namely Monetary and Financial Statistics, Public Finance and Real Sector
MONETARY AND FINANCIAL STATISTICS
The monetary and financial statistics section is responsible for the collection, compilation and analysis of monetary sector data which includes money supply, credit extension, interest rates and foreign reserves.
- Public Finance - The public finance office is responsible for the fiscal sector. It collects and analyses data on government revenue and expenditure, overall government fiscal position and domestic and foreign borrowing.
- Real Sector - This section collects and analyses data on the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), prices and employment. It also monitors performance of key sectors of the economy namely; agriculture, construction, power and energy, manufacturing, tourism and mining.
BALANCE OF PAYMENTS AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS
The Balance of Payments and international affairs division compiles the balance of payment statement for Swaziland as well as developing and coordinating the Central Bank of Swaziland’s interactions and relations with other Central Banks and regional, international and multilateral institutions and organisations.
The division is divided into two sections namely the Balance of Payment and International Relations and Regional affairs.
- Balance of Payments - This section is responsible for the collection and analysis of external sector data. This includes data on trade in goods and services,international reserves, Factor income, transfers, capital account,financial account and then compiles the country’s Balance of Payment statement and international Investment position.
- The International Relations and Regional Affairs section is responsible for issues and policies on regional and international developments and cooperation developments. It collects, analyses and advises Senior Management on developments taking place in international and regional groupings namely CMA, SACU, SADC, AACB, COMESA, IMF, World Bank, AFDB, BIS and SADC Central Bank.
POLICY RESEARCH AND MACRO-ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
The policy research and macro-economic Analysis Division undertakes applied economic research in general macro-economic and monetary issues supported by econometric modelling and forecasting. The Division is divided into two sections, namely; Modelling and Forecasting and Policy Research.
- The Modelling and Forecasting section develops economic models using econometric techniques to enable a more rigorous understanding of how the Swaziland economy performs, in order to produce reliable forecasting of key
- economic variables.
- Policy Research section conducts applied economic research to inform economic policy, advice and decision-making.