One of the functions of the Central Bank is to redeem mutilated notes. This function stems from its being the institution mandated to be sole issuer of the Emalangeni currency. Redemption of mutilated notes means exchange of torn, dirty or burnt notes for clean notes.
The exchange of mutilated service is offered by any commercial bank closest to you and the Central Bank of Swaziland, Umntsholi Building. The commercial banks offer this service to the public on behalf of the Central Bank of Swaziland.
Redemption is guided by rules set below as per government gazette. The degree of mutilation determines the value that can be paid.
The full face value of currency is paid under the following circumstances:
- when the mutilation is such that all the full authorised signatures appear and there is at least one full serial number
- when the mutilation is such that one and half signatures appear on the face of the note and one full serial number.
Half Value Payment
Where the mutilation is such that only one full signature and serial number appear on the face of the note.
There will be no redemption for any note that does not meet the above requirements. There will be no redemption for any note that does not pass the security features tests.
- Obtain forms from the nearest commercial bank or Central Bank
- Fill up the information required
- Take the money and form to any Commissioner of Oaths to swear for proof of ownership and the truthfulness of the information you provided
- Present to the Bank the form and money for payment/redemption.
Central Bank of Swaziland
Mbabane, Swaziland (H100)
Tel: [+268] 2408 2000
Fax: [+268] 2404 0063